Saturday, June 30, 2007

From Now On I Will Use "ghoti"

I don't know if you know this, but the original spelling of "fish" was actually "ghoti." Its true. Very true.
You see, unlike today, when English was first developed it made sense. It followed rules. Somewhere down the line (thanks to the British), the English language got severely contorted. But back to the "fish/ghoti" matter:
Check out these pronunciations:
ghoti...."gh"oti...."gh".....rough.....rou"gh"....gh, as in F
ghoti....gh"o"ti...."o".....women....w"o"men.....o, as in I
ghoti....gho"ti"...."ti"....fiction......fic"ti"on.....ti, as in SH
You see, "ghoti" can be pronounced as "fish" and indeed it was back in the day.
From Now On I Will Use "ghoti". I hope to eat some ghoti for dinner soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home